Saturday, September 1, 2012

Epistula Mihi Rubric



Epistula Mihi Rubric

Discipuli Carissimi,

Your objective in writing an Epistula Mihi (Letter To Myself) is very straightforward. The Romans did not have many original artistic innovations to their name, borrowing mostly from the models they took from the Greeks, but did manage to turn letter-writing from an necessity of technical communication into an art form all its own.
You will include a few formal conventions in your epistula, but you are to focus mostly on another prominent feature of Roman literature: preserving your current experience to send a message to a future audience-- which, in this case, happens to be yourself!
Your task this weekend is to complete a draft of your epistula, which you will bring to class on Tuesday. It should follow the Formal Requirements, since these make sure your letter follows proper Roman convention in letter-writing, as well as the Content Requirements, since these will help you decide what exactly you want the tu futurus to know. I've included a sample letter to give you an idea of what your draft should look like when you are done. Scribendum laetum!
NOTA BENE: It is very important that you write this letter in your own handwriting. You may type it out ahead of time on a word processor, but the draft and final letter must be sua manu.

Formal Requirements

I) Salutation: “[Your name] gives greetings to [Your name]”

II) Body Paragraphs: At least three paragraphs with at least three sentences each.

III) Complimentary Close: “If you are well, I am happy,”

IV) Signature: “[Your name]”

Content Requirements

I) Your purpose for writing.

II) Where you are writing the letter.

III) What shoes you are wearing (if any).

IV) What you expect the school year to be like.

V) One academic goal you have for the year.

VI) One social goal you have for the year.

VII) One athletic or health-related goal you have for the year.

VII) One personal goal you have for the year.

VIII) One wish you have for your future self.

IX) A code phrase to yourself that only you would understand.

Sample Letter

Jacob Jinkins gives greetings to Future Jacob Jinkins,

Salve, future self! Jacob here. I'm sitting on the couch in the living room right now, trying to keep from putting my red Chuck Taylors (you've still got them, right?) on the coffee table. writing you a letter to remind you what was going on back when school was getting started. I'm kind of nervous, honestly. There's a lot I have to do this year with school, and band, and Boy Scouts and everything else. I think it's going to be tough to keep my grades up and still have time to hang out and not go to bed after midnight every night!
I'm keeping focused, though. There's a lot I want to do this year. I think this year I can manage to keep at least a B in all my classes—all A's if Call Of Duty doesn't get in the way, haha! I also want to make some more friends in my grade, since a lot of my best pals are graduating this year. I enjoyed jogging this summer to get in shape for band, so I want to try to keep running at least three times a week. It's definitely helped me stress less so far.
More than anything, though, I really just want to worry less, about everything. I get so worked up about stuff and nine times out of ten it works out just fine. I'm going to try to remember that whenever I start to stress and just count to ten then go high-five Pablo or something. I'm psyched he's in AP U.S. with me.
OK, Future Jake, time to go eat dinner then watch some Adventure Time. I hope you enjoy reading this letter in May and that you're really happy with how everything went. Don't vacuum the ceiling too often, yo!

If you are well, I am happy,

Jacob Jenkins

No comments: